Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Doggy DecemberDay 9 - Sorry














It rained all night last night; the steady sound of drops on the corrugated iron roof one of the most comforting urban lullabies when trying to sleep.

This morning it is still raining and the garden is gratefully drinking it in.




















The paper says that Melbourne’s water storage is only at 38% capacity.

Weather experts are already predicting that this summer is likely to be hotter and drier than before, so every bit helps.

That’s why we can’t take you with us to school today, because it’s too wet.














See, you're even in your kennel, which you only ever go into if you think you're in trouble or are very cold, isn't that right?

If we take you with us this morning, your legs, tummy, hips and back will be soaked and you’ll feel very wet and miserable. See, even we’ve got our jackets on and you know how warm-blooded Sapphire is.

That’s why I only give you baths on warm sunny days so you’ll dry quickly, or use the blow-dryer on you during winter when your pong is too pronounced. And you hate the blow-dryer even more than the sound of the vacuum, don’t you?

The vet told me that you should always stay warm and comfortable because cold water will make your two back legs hurt even worse than usual and your limp more awkward.

You already start limping by the time we walk the 400 metres to school, which hurts me to see when you used to run lap after lap after lap with me on the oval, outdoing even William the whippet and Sheba the German Shepherd. We have to be careful now, and make sure that you’re not left in pain.

I'll leave you inside - we'll only be five minutes - and I'll give you a nice long tummy rub when I return.

You understand, don't you?

11 comments:

Rowe said...

Oh Kath, she is beautiful. So cute in her kennel, little head poking out, and then sitting smugly all cosy on the couch, hehehe.

franzy said...

Dear Blonde Human,

I can't read! Stop typing! Take me walkies!

signed
Queen Sheba of The Mighty Clan of One

Kath Lockett said...

Rowe in the last picture she's sort of sulking and studiously ignoring me. Of course, this lasted all of thirty seconds, but she was NOT happy to be left at home instead of go on her small walk.

Franzy, rest assured the rain had stopped by 3.30pm and she came with me. And then for another walk to the post office, so life is perfectly balanced again. AS for typing, she loves it - sleeps by my feet, gets her tummy scratched every now and then and rushes to the door when the postie arrives. Perfect way to work really.

Rowe said...

You're right Kath, I looked at the photo again after posting my comment and thought smug was not quite the description of Milly's facial expression. I knew I should have deleted the comment and rewritten it instead of being lazy and trying to slip it past you...

Greenearth said...

Pleased to hear it is raining in Melbourne, very hot today here in Queensland. Had my plumber over to do some work and we were talking tanks. With water restrictions and the hot dry weather seeming to last forever time to take the plunge so to speak.

River said...

We've had the rain here too, sweetest sound I've ever heard. I'm sure Milly understands, even though she's not too happy about it. Just one tummy rub from you and all is forgiven...

Benjamin Solah said...

I wish I was left at home when it's raining :P

Anonymous said...

Always lovely to hear the rain here in South Australia too, as you can imagine!Interested to hear that you found Milly at the Sandy Creek Dog Sanctuary. Have heard about it over the years, but never been there. She looks such a dear.

Helen said...

I know that feeling, whenever I leave and have to put them outside and they give me that look...

Reviewer11 said...

So cute! :)

Plastic Mancunian said...

Milly can read???

:0)

Cheers

PM