Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Wednesday Word Verification Explanations

For a while now I've been jotting down each 'word verification' that pops up every time I've commented on someone else's blog.

Some of them seem too good to let fade away into merely acknowledging a human interaction in cyberspace before fading into electro-oblivion and I'm tossing up the idea of making this a weekly segment. After all, new words are being introduced into our language all the time or else we'd still be reading the original 18th C Samuel Webster.

And so, today I present to you some new words, defined:














Pididi - Two meanings, in fact.
1) Little known-cousin to the Llama, found solely in the isolated southern region of the Andes. Stemming from a very small breeding stock that commonly results in bottom teeth growing past the nostrils. Prized for their ability to stand in for Gary Busey, drink-affected Muppets and extras from 'Deliverance'.

2) Slang for an elderly person's genitalia (male or female). 'The carol singing was going swimmingly until Grandad pushed his zimmer frame aside and whipped his Pididi out.'

Mingo - a popular form of entertainment in US recreation centres that forbid gambling of any sort, particularly in the Bible-belt. 'Hey, are you coming with me to play Mingo tonight?' Instead of placing a monetary value on a successful outcome, people participate in the game by seeing how long they can perch on specifically-designed, elongated suction plugs. The first to fall to the floor must clean the toilets at the end of the evening.
















Efoonst - The act of discovering rude words or double-entendres in research findings, scientific equipment or electronic devices. Commonly enjoyed by high school maths students, physics graduates and laboratory technicians. Teachers the world over are often seen rolling their eyes and scornfully saying, 'Oh for gods' sake Leithold, can you stop efoonsting long enough to finish your algebra test?'





















Nerchicc - Gender confusion identification experienced by the onlooker and not the subject under observation. Commonly attributed to the rise of obese youths interested in Goth culture, thin males entranced by 'Twilight' and 'Glee,' the increased uptake of facial piercings and an indiscriminate use of Photoshop. 'Is that a girl or a guy over there? See, the one with the really skinny jeans and neck tattoo?'
'I honestly can't tell. It's the seventh Nerchicc I've seen on the tram today.'

Kabbele - From the ancient Latin 'Kabbe', meaning 'forsaken'. A struggling, alternative religion not yet taken up by celebrities, billionaires, aliens or child molesters. All worshippers must forgo wearing socks, eat only foods that are voluntarily discarded by others and commit to spending half their waking hours reverently cleaning up the alleys, footpaths and hotel rooms used by AFL footballers after nightclub visits. Debate still rages as to whether their Divine Being is Wayne Carey's original Mullet, Fevola's Financial Advisor or the Mayor of Port Adelaide.

Wallock - A short, sharp, physical act of violence that is an automatic reaction to seeing ridiculously pointless and impractical clothing worn by people clearly under the influence of drugs or head injury. 'The judge ruled that Dennis had no case to answer, for his swift wallock to the shoulder blades on a youth clad in jeans with pockets at the knees was considered an appropriate response.'


14 comments:

Vanessa said...

And my word verification for this post is igent - what do you make of that one? I'd love to get away with a wallock now and then ;)

Baino said...

Haha gotta love a wallock . . so what's a hiropess then?

River said...

My word today is authe...gets dictionary...nope, it isn't in there...what could it possibly mean? something that's only half real? authe(ntic)
I know a few people I'd love to wallock.

River said...

@ Baino; obviously a hiropess is a female hirop...

Helen said...

messanj: the chaos in a house the morning after a movie-night. Bonus points for popcorn in weird places, like under the TV or in the vase of flowers.

R.H. said...

Hello Vanessa, sometimes I regret comments I've made. My comments about your brother were pretty stupid.
I wish him luck.

-Robert.

deepkickgirl said...

I hope to god you're joking about the Mingo. I don't know if I can live in a world where that passes for entertainment (not that I'm in any position to judge...).

Vanessa said...

Thanks Robert, appreciated. I tried to respond via your own blog but the link from your name doesn't take me there.
Vanessa

R.H. said...

There's nothing on my blog. I wouldn't have a blog at all except I thought I needed one in order to comment.
I sneak a few postings into the comments on blog Copperwitch sometimes. Have a look, she's a marvellous blogger; a heavyweight in every way.

R.H. said...

Mrs Lockett is very good too of course.

Anonymous said...

My daughter works in aged care bless her. An elderly lady resident is always adjusting her disposable much to the annoyance of another elderly resident who finally said to my daughter one day in exasperation, fighting in the recesses of her brain for the right word..."Why is Kathryn always fiddling with her...her..her...Kappow! I think my daughter was busy trying to keep Mr.Jones hands off his pididi at the time.

Kath Lockett said...

Igent - a meterosexual mark II with the focus not on his appearance but by owning the latest iteration of electronic gadgety available.

Hiropess - a female who has recently lost a great deal of weight via a popular weight loss program who bores everyone sees with the details.

Authe - the poor, unrecognised sod who has to write all the official apologies read out - word-for-word by misbehaving footballers at press conferences.

Mesanj is brilliant, Helen!

And RH - you're a champion, you really are :)

R.H. said...

That means a lot to me. Thanks.

Cinema Minima said...

Excellent explanations. Now I know my Mingos from my Wallocks.

I just got one before "mytomb". I don't want to know...