Friday, June 04, 2010

Yellow Dog Day



















Relax, dear reader. It's not the Black Dog gone horribly wrong or colour blind but an adoption drive for homeless dogs in shelters all around Australia.

Milly and myself were tracked down in the blogosphere with the former cited as a good example of a 'lost dog' being adopted by a family for a second - and much better - stage of life.




















We found Milly six years ago at the Sandy Creek Dog Sanctuary and she was the first dog I saw. It was love at first sight for both of us. I've written before about how Love Chunks said, "Steady on Kath, don't go for the first one you see, take a look at them all," and I dutifully did, but we ended back in front of Milly's kennel.

Thirty minutes and eighty bucks later, she was sitting in the back of our station wagon, tail wagging and eyes sparkling as we drove home. Love Chunks looked me, grinning and brimming with joy, and said to the back of the car, "Milly, you've won the lotto."

Six years later and my little orange best friend means the world to me. Walking to meet Sapphire after school, snoozing in her beanbag under my desk as I write, leaning against me when I'm sad or sick, assisting the Litter Ninjas by thoughtfully eating the squashed hamburgers, dropped Red Rooster bones and dribbled thickshakes and showing me how a good body shake and flap of the ears helps release tension and get over things.



















The enthusiastic welcomes and the love she gives makes me feel like a ruler and rock star every single time.

By visiting the Pe
digree (there's some irony in the name for you) Adoption Drive website, you can search for and adopt a dog, make donations to help homeless dogs and buy merchandise. Alternatively, you can buy your own dog a can or two of Pedigree dog food and they'll donate a portion of the proceeds to renowned rescue organisation PetRescure.




















It's me that won the lotto.

And Milly is now asking Sapphire to stop using flash photography so that she can get on with the more pressing business of rolling over for a tummy rub and a quick snuffle under the dining table before settling in front of the telly with her beloved pack.

17 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I always find it a bit of a shift when I hear the name of a dog or cat that equates with the name of one of my daughter's. That said your Milly seems nearly every bit as lovely as my human, Millie.

This sounds a bit off. It's not particularly useful to compare animals and humans and yet we do, at least I do. The more domesticated the animal the more i anthropomorphise.

All this is to say I can see and read here why you love your dog. How fortunate you are, each of you,in choosing one another.

Benjamin Solah said...

If I got a dog (or any other pet), we'd have to get it from a pound or shelter. Seems like the right thing to do and seems it pays off.

Got to convince our landlord first.

River said...

I love Milly. If I had a bigger place that would allow pets, I'd have a dog for sure. (and a cat..)
Can you believe just two days ago I was having a good cry over missing my own dog? I was watching the movie "Rain" on midday TV, it's about a german shepherd named Rain who goes to Vietnam as a seeker dog, to alert the soldiers when there are enemy soldiers or other hazards such as mines, trip wires etc in their immediate area. anyway, Rain reminded me so much of my MadMax that I cried through most of the movie. It's been 20 years since we had to give him away and move to a rental property.
Please give Milly an extra hug from me.

Romana said...

I love the saying on your Pedigree jacket.

I think you and Milly are both fortunate to have each other :)

Regards

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kath Lockett said...

Elisabeth I remember many years ago telling our previous dog, Tess, to stop barking. "TESS! STOP THAT NOW!"

A few seconds later our front door bell rang and a nervous-looking woman stood there. "Um hello. I'm, er, Tess, here to measure up your built in robes." She'd heard me yelling as she was walking from her car and apparently had her finger poised over the 000 button on her mobile as she waited for me to answer the door!

You're right Benjamin. In the meantime, do what I did in the four years between Tess and Milly (and now, if I'm honest) - rush up and pat every doggy you see on the street.

River, I'd cry too. In fact I started tearing up when talking to Sapphire the other day about my first pet - Sox the cat, given as an eighth birthday present.

Thanks Romana. As I'm typing this, the big black top is now covering in tiny orange and white hairs!

Elisabeth said...

There must be something in this name business, Kath. You mention another of your dogs named Tess and immediately I am reminded of another of my daughters who travels under the name, Tessa.

Pandora Behr said...

You have no idea how much I've fallen for Milly. Like Benjamin, if I could have a pet I'd be off to the cat or dog's home in an instance. The ones you get from the shelters are the true pedigree fellows - no purer heart can be found. Great blog.

Baino said...

I'd adopt ten dogs if I had my way, and some fences. . .speaking of which, mine has just taken herself for a walk after a week of rain induced stir craziness.

Kath Lockett said...

Oh Elisabeth, I can't help but sit here and laugh at that! One day shall we dare compare photos??

Thanks Pand. And I agree - the mixed up mystery mutts are always the best. Strong, loving and full of fun.

Your Lily is beautiful, Baino and I always love seeing photos of her on your blog.

Cast Iron Balcony said...

She's such a lovely dog.
I remember standing in front of Maggie's wire kennel at the Lost Dog's, with the Girl crouching in front of her, girl and dog gazing rapt into each others eyes.
When we went to the front desk the bitter and beaten-down looking employee (I'm not blaming her, I'd be depressed working there) said "oh she's gone. The family's taking her to introduce her to their dog to see if they get on."
Logically, that seemed to admit the possibility that they might not get on, so I asked if I could leave our phone number as a backup. She looked at me as if I was mad. "No, that won't happen." "I'll leave it anyway," I pressed.
Next morning: Ring ring. "Were you the one who was interested in the Kelpie cross?..."

R.H. said...

I agree with the above comment, many of the staff aren't good; robotic, distanced.

Helen said...

I think they become shut down and detached otherwise their emotions would be continually scarified. Getting attached to older dogs who no one wants to adopt, etc. Hearing some of the abuse stories. Seeing the inevitable post christmas abandonment.
I always wonder what Maggie's story was.

R.H. said...

Maybe you're right, but I couldn't do that job anyway.

Kath Lockett said...

It would indeed be a tough job; one that would often sorely test your ability to believe that human beings have the capacity to be decent.

I saw the Pedigree Adoption ad on TV last night and got a bit teary.

Apart from the incredible stresses and heartache that such workers would face I also wouldn't be able to work there because I'd end up wanting to adopt them all!

Helen said...

So, what happened with your plagiarist?! C'mon!

Nuffnang said...

Thank you for your support on Pedigree Adoption Drive :)